Friday, October 15, 2010

Almost-Authentic Banh Mi

It's true - I've never had an authentic Banh Mi before. I always thought it looked dry, and the deli meats that go in it never appealed to me. But after the first season of the Great Food Truck Race on Food Network, I started craving Bahn Mi's like crazy. (Does it even make sense to crave a food you've never tried before?) I began researching mock Bahn Mi recipes that didn't involve tracking down Vietnamese deli meats. Luckily I came across one that involved ingredients I could easily buy from my local supermarket. I subbed the ground pork/chicken for lean ground turkey, but I thought it still tasted pretttyy darn good. So here you go! My first attempt at a Banh Mi.

Almost-Authentic Banh Mi
Adapted from Mehan's Kitchen

Ingredients:
1 lb lean ground turkey/pork/chicken
1/4 cup chopped basil
6 garlic cloves, minced
3 green onions, minced
1 T fish sauce (I added a bit more)
1 T Sriracha (Again, added more)
1 T sugar
2 t corn starch
salt and pepper, to taste
French baguettes

Spicy mayo:
2/3rd cup low fat mayonnaise (yes you can use full fat)
1 T sriracha, or to taste

Pickled Carrots/daikon:

2 cups daikon, grated or sliced thinly
2 cups carrots, grated or sliced thinly
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup warm water
1/4 cup white distilled vinegar

Directions:

1. For the pickled daikon: dissolve the sugar into the warm water, and add vinegar and shredded daikon/carrots. Let stand in fridge for at least one hour for best taste (although I'm sure it will still taste good if you don't have the time)
2. Combine all ingredients from ground turkey to the salt and pepper in one bowl and mix.
3. Form 1 inch meatballs from the meat mixture
4. Heat 1 t olive oil in a skillet on medium-high heat
5. Sear meatballs for around 15 minutes, or until internal temp hits 160 degrees
6. Mix the mayo ingredients together
7. Assemble the sandwiches with mayo, pickled daikon, and meatballs. Garnish with cilantro and enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. We should grab one from ct one day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bahn mi a Bahn mi! This made me so hungry that I am now going to go eat my heart out.

    ReplyDelete